Skip to main content

2 cimts on a legal permanent resident's record. It has been over 5 years since both incidents occured. can one apply for citizen

Falls Church, VA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

My cousin commited 2 misdemeanor embezzlemnts both under 200 dollars. He has no family back home, we are all U.S. citizens. He has had a clean record for the past 5 years and would like to apply for naturalization. is there any possibility his application would be accepted given his cirumstances whenhe commited those crimes. he was really young, he has no family in his origin country and he has a degree in radiology and is working at a hospital now.

Attorney Answers 3


Before considering whether the naturalization application will be approved, he should ensure he is not inadmissible due to CIMT. I cannot stress enough, in this case, how important it is to have the case reviewed by an experienced immigration attorney.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Do not file for anything before consulting privately with an attorney. The USCIS has the discretion to consider the crimes committed and likely will. In addition, depending on the sentence, your cousin may be deportable. Your cousin should speak to an attorney in his area. I'm located in Alexandria, Virginia.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



I will pass on your contact information. He will contact you ASAP. Thank you.


One is subject to removal for 2 CIMT's, he should file nothing if he wants to stay in the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics