1st time offender no criminal record got caught transporting 3 pounds of marijuana at mx-az border. whats going to happen now?

Asked over 1 year ago - Yuma, AZ

never been in trouble only did it to make enough money to pay for loved ones surgery and had no intention of making it a habit or living off of it once i had enough to cover the hospital bill i was going to be done

1. Steven W Zachary

7

Answered . Since this is your first offense you might not be familiar with the legal process. Make sure you have a good lawyer and that person explains what is going to happen to you.

2. Michael Douglas Shafer

6

Answered . You are looking at charges of possession, possession for sale and transporting. Serious charges that mandate you seek the help of a criminal attorney.

3. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . You need to hire a competent criminal defense attorney to represent you ASAP. This website is public. Discuss this matter in private with your attorney in an attorney-client privileged setting.

4. Paul E Knost

1

Answered . The answer depends on whether you are being charged in federal court or in state court. Either way, you are facing a substantial prison sentence, even as a first time offender. Transporting three pounds of marijuana across an international border is not comparable to simple possession of marijuana for personal use. Here in Maricopa County, a typical plea offer on a case like this would be 3.5 to 5 years in the Department of Corrections. But there is a seemingly endless list of factors that can affect this. For example, if you were caught with firearms during the commssion of the crime, then you might be treated more harshly.

As charged, the crime is not probation eligible. Typically the government will be unwilling to plead it down to something probation eligible.

Also, everything you write on the internet is public. It CAN be used against you. The government can easily trace it back to your IP address. Big Brother has technology we won't see or hear about for another 10 to 20 years, if ever. See that little camera on your computer pointing straight at you? The government can hack in and snap a picture or video of you without you even realizing it. The government can basically do whatever it wants. Who's going to stop them? The ACLU? Perhaps after the fact.

I agree with all of my colleagues who posted answers before me. Seek counsel from a lawyer in your area who is experienced in these types of cases. Do this as soon as possible.