1st time offender in Indiana class d felony theft

Asked over 2 years ago - Muncie, IN

im freaking out ive been charged with a class d felony for theft in indiana, this is my 1st and last offense. I found out I was pregnant a couple days after I did this and already have a 7 month old. I have alot on the line, i went to jail and was bonded out, i have court in 3 days and i am very very stressed and scared im going to jail. i cannot afford a lawyer i know one will be appointed to me but i haven't met him/her yet. can someone tell me what my chances are of going to jail and what i should plea i have been told to plea not guilty but i know i did it...i dont know what to do any advice will help.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gregory Philip Bowes

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The first thing you should do is stop admitting that you committed the offense in a public forum. It is possible you committed one offense, but the prosecutor charged you with the wrong offense.
    If you are charged with a Class D felony, which is the lowest felony in Indiana, you are allowed to ask for what is called Alternative Misdemeanor Sentencing or AMS. This option is created by statute at Ind. Code 35-50-2-7(b), which is available at http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/a.... If the judge uses AMS, you would have a misdemeanor conviction as far as the law is concerned.
    If this is your first offense, there is no minimum prison sentence required even if you are convicted for a Class D felony.
    You should consult with your attorney before deciding how to go forward. Although any criminal charge is serious, this may not be as scary as it looks to you right now.

    I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question. I want to confirm that no attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,921 answers this week

2,730 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,921 answers this week

2,730 attorneys answering