19 year old first offended, two felony charges, class D & class E for stealing then selling firearm.

Asked over 4 years ago - Kendall, NY

My child has been a problem since the age of 16. Continues stealing, disobeyment etc. She is not living at home, and has not for 3 months. The gun theft happened while not living at home. Judge ordered twice weekly drug tests in which she admitted will show pot. She was arrainged, judge put in not guilty plea, but she confessed verbally/written during questioning. Would a plea be possible? Would drug rehab be possible? Would it be possible for her to go to a rehab, then be released back to me with stiff restrictions, like she has a time to be home, has to have a job in 2 weeks, etc type stuff and if she disobeys one phone call could send her to jail? This kid needs something, and nothing I've done prior has worked. Just any advise would be great. I certainly want her to learn, but jail???

Attorney answers (1)

  1. P. Adam Militello


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . All of the options you raised as a possible punishment are on the table, but in cases where somebody steals a gun, so is jail. You really need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP. If you can't afford an attorney, contact the public defender's office. An early intervention by a good lawyer is your best bet here.

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,121 answers this week

2,585 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,121 answers this week

2,585 attorneys answering