Skip to main content

18 years old and have not yet had a job. Will this effect bringing my wife back to the USA on the CR1 visa?

Los Angeles, CA |

She is from a VWP country. We have been internet dating for 18 months, and met during that time. When I turned 18 we spent a few months together, and I went back to her country with her, and we got married spur of the moment. I want to bring her back to the USA with me, but I am worried my lack of earnings, well, ever, will effect that. We have many close friends who are willing to co-sponsor who do make the required level of income. Will this work in our favor?
Also, she is older than me, and this is a genuine relationship. We have many supporting documents, and the support of family and friends.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. from your post, my understanding is that your wife is still in her country. You can file the I-130 and after approval, go through consular processing. You will need a joint sponsor. As always it is best to work with an attorney.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. Yes - will need a co-sponsor.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. No need to worry about your lack of earnings. You will simply need to obtain a co-sponsor. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics