17 year old applied for credit card and received it, without the parents knowledge. Maxed card out at $300. Parent discovered.

Asked over 5 years ago - Little Rock, AR

Now 2 years later parents found out when summons is delivered to home for court appearance. Amount owed now is $1108. Collectors refuse to discuss the account with parents even after parent informed them that minor got the card. Parent has paid $700 of this balance. What can parent do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Scott Allen Scholl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The first thing to do is to ensure that an answer to the complaint is filed within the time provided by the Court (probably 20 days is the named defendant is a resident of Arkansas), and if the complaint included a statement of account you should file a sworn objection to the statement.

    When preparing the answer, you will need to look at the voidability of the contract, whether their was an affirmance, as well as if there are other defenses that may be available under the consumer protection statutes such as the Truth in Lending Act.

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering