17 months OPT STEM extension with a consulting firm only uses 1099 form, not E-Verified but willing to get E-verify

New York, NY |

I am currently on 12 month OPT that expires in May 2013. I am eligible for 17 OPT STEM Extension. My employer only use 1099 form when hire employees. They are willing to get E-verify to help me to extend the OPT. But it seems the firm must uses 1-9 form? very confused. Could you tell me is there any way i can get extension with this employer? Is company only uses 1099 eligible to apply for E-verify? If not, what will be a better solution on my case? Thank you very much.

You will need to be their employee not an independant contractor

thank you

You must be an employee, ie issued a w-2, and your employer must be an e-verify employer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

thank you

Recommended articles about Immigration