17 months OPT STEM extension with a consulting firm only uses 1099 form, not E-Verified but willing to get E-verify

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I am currently on 12 month OPT that expires in May 2013. I am eligible for 17 OPT STEM Extension. My employer only use 1099 form when hire employees. They are willing to get E-verify to help me to extend the OPT. But it seems the firm must uses 1-9 form? very confused. Could you tell me is there any way i can get extension with this employer? Is company only uses 1099 eligible to apply for E-verify? If not, what will be a better solution on my case? Thank you very much.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will need to be their employee not an independant contractor

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You must be an employee, ie issued a w-2, and your employer must be an e-verify employer.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,369 answers this week

3,312 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,369 answers this week

3,312 attorneys answering