17, pregnant, moving out

Oxford, WI |

I am 17 and i am pregnant. I heard that in the state of Wisconsin, if with child, you can choose to live with the father of your child at the age of 17. I want to make sure this is true, before acting on it and making a fool of myself. I just would rather have my son live with both of his parents, instead of bouncing around two homes. Especially since his father and i are staying together and want to raise our son in a loving family environment. Is there anything that could help this process go faster? Our son is due in the end of September, and we'd like to have a home established for our baby before he is born.

This is not true. In fact, the father of the child may be guilty of a crime depending on how old you were when you got pregnant and presumably had sex with him.

The bottom line is that you are a minor, and your parents can still control where you live. Having a child of your own doesn't change the fact that you are still, in the eyes of the law, a child as well.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Well do you know of anything in Wisconsin that I could do to help get me emancipated or something? I just want my family to be together.

Gregory J. Jerabek

Gregory J. Jerabek

Wisconsin does not have an emancipation procedure. To be honest, it sounds like you have a lot of things that you need to sort out in your life, and could probably use the help of more than just the father of your child. How do you plan on supporting yourself and your child for example? Do you plan on completing high school, or getting an education beyond that? There are far more important, long-term things that you should be thinking about than being "together" as a "family".

Well yes, I know this. We are in fact finishing high school, the both of us. We already worked out a program with our school- we did that immediately after discovering the due date and such. We have both acquired stable jobs, in fact he actually got two, for security. We are purchasing a home, with the help of our bank and his parents as well. We have a lot of help coming to us, and supporters who are willing to do what they can for us, but it's hard when we are not living together. My mother agreed to let me move out before the baby comes, but that was months ago, and now she seems more hesitant as the due date approaches. I fear she's getting cold feet, and to be honest- it's not fair after my boyfriend and I have come so far and done so much to work and buy the house we're buying.