Skip to main content

12500 (a) CVC infraction, with a valid French Driver license. Can I still drive until to get my California driver license ?

Carlsbad, CA |

I'm French, on M-1 Visa and here for 6 months.
I bought a car a month ago and I have a Valid French Driver License.
Yesterday, I blew a stop sign...
And the Police officer gave me a ticket with :
22450 (a) CVC infraction
12500 (a) CVC infraction
As my car wasn't impounded,
I'd like to know if I can still drive until I'll get my California driver license ?
Thank you.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. No. Your French licence is not valid after a month. Time enough to apply for a California license.Get your California Driver's License and be grateful you did not get a misdemeanor. Bonne Chance!!

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  2. You need to get a California driver's license within 30 days of your arrival, so you are already past due and need to get that done ASAP before driving your car anymore! Make sure you also have at least the minimum required automobile insurance to cover the property damage or total loss to your car and any other car(s) as well as at least the minimum for third party liability, I also strongly recommend uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in the event you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver and it is their fault.
    In order to drive in California, you must have a valid California license. The International Driver’s License issued in other countries is not valid in California. While tourists can drive with the license from their home country, students are considered by the Department of Motor Vehicles to be residents, and therefore are not eligible to use their home country license.

    To obtain a California Driver’s license, you must pass written and driving tests. The written test is based entirely on the California Driver’s handbook. Free copies of the handbook are available at the Department of Motor Vehicles Office. While the handbook is available only in Spanish and English, the written test is available in many languages. After passing the written test, you may make an appointment to take the driving test. You will have three opportunities to pass each test – written and driving. You will need to provide a car for the driving test. To apply, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles Office at 500 Cohasset Lane (number 1 or 2 bus routes). There is a $24.00 application fee. You will need your passport and a social security number (or a letter from the social security office that you are not eligible for a social security number).

    Auto Insurance: California Compulsory Financial Responsibility Law requires that an owner of a motor vehicle have an Auto Insurance policy. It must cover at the minimum, $15,000 for personal injury or death; $30,000 for multiple injuries or deaths; and $5,000 for property damage.

    Safety belts: The Private Passenger Motor Vehicle Safety Act of January 1986 requires drivers and passengers in a passenger vehicle to use safety belts. The driver may be fined for the first offense and the fine increases thereafter. A passenger 16 years of age or older, if unbelted, may be cited. Infants and small children may be transported in cars only when the appropriate restraint devices are used. Failure to provide this protection will result in a heavy fine.

    Helmet: The law requires that both operators and passengers on motorcycles and motorized scooters wear proper safety helmets on their heads.

    Alcohol, Drugs and Driving: Drunk driving is a leading cause of accidents and deaths in this country. Therefore, there are very strict laws which must be observed if one decides to operate motorized vehicles or bikes.

    Implied Consent Law: When you drive in California, you agree to submit to a test of your blood, breath, or urine if arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you refuse or fail to complete the test, you will lose your license, whether or not you were under the influence. If you are convicted you may be sentenced to 96 hours in jail in addition to a fine up to $1000. Also you will lose your driving privileges for six months. The court may also take away your vehicle for 30 days. You will pay for the storage of the vehicle.

    Open container: You must not carry on you or in the car, an open bottle, can or container with any alcoholic beverage in it. A container of liquor, beer or wine carried in a vehicle must be full, sealed, and unopened. Otherwise, it must be put in the trunk or a place where passengers cannot access it. Please read the California Driver Handbook.

    Cellular Phones: In the State of California, it is illegal to use a cellular phone while driving, unless you use a hands-free device. Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a cellular phone.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics