12 year old stepson is being sexually, emotionally, and psychologically abused. She has attorney. Help us please!

Palm Desert, CA |

We have 80% physical custody because of her numerous contempts of court. He has to go with her every other weekend. She walked in when he was going to the bathroom and asked if he was playing with himself. Told him to move his hand and fiddled with it saying how cute it was. She stays in the bathroom when he is taking a shower to hand him things, then looks to make sure he is using it right. Her husband drinks against court order. She calls him fat, lazy, tells him that he need help/therapy, says there is something wrong with him. He is left alone at night to take care of his 4 yr old brother. They fight all the time in Spanish so he doesn't understand. She refuses to touch him. She threatens him. There are bugs/mold. He cries uncontrollably/hyperventilates. Has to stay on phone with me.

This is horrible! If abuse is suspected have father call CPS. I hope father's situation is not anywhere similar to mother's, or else it could backfire. If CPS finds abuse then your attorney can help father get full custody

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney. If further assistance is needed please feel free to contact me and retain my services.

Catherine Caroline Forbes

Catherine Caroline Forbes

But if cps finds abuse they could detain the child from both parents. That's why I think father should seek sole custody in family court first.

Arturo Angel Burga

Arturo Angel Burga

Yes Ms. Forbes! That sounds like a safe way to go.

Perhaps father can file a motion seeking full custody and only supervised visits with mother. He can ask for a custody evaluation to be done by family court services. In my county there is a emergency screening procedure if the court feels there is abuse. You could consider making a report to CPS but they may expect dad to protect child in family court first. If there is an allegation of sexual abuse they might interview yr stepson at school. I worked for CPS for ten years. You can call me if u like.

This is not legal advice

Child abuse topics