1099-MISC income under - reported by the company. Should I just keep quiet or speak up?

Asked over 1 year ago - Spring Hill, FL

I work as a freelance consultant. In 2012, I did some project for a company and they paid me 16,400. Now when they sent me the 1099-MISC, I see that Box 7 only mentions 14,200. It looks like they made a mistake on 1099-MISC and do not exactly remember what was paid to me. My first reaction is just to keep quiet about it. Telling them about their mistake can only cost me more taxes. Do you foresee a scenario where my speaking up can be beneficial to me?

1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

6

Answered . Yes - by intentionally under reporting income you would be committing tax fraud and could be faced with penalties. If you are certain the amount on the 1099 is wrong, do the right thing and inform the company and report the correct amount on your return.

2. Alicia Simone James

4

Answered . Yes. Speaking up will keep you out of criminal liability. If the amount is incorrect then you should report it. You may not have increased tax liability because of the additional income. There are a lot of deductions available for self employed individuals. If the company has done this to many other 1099 contractors then they are committing fraud. You can report them (please use a tax attorney to represent you) and get rewarded by the IRS.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

Answered . Discuss this with the company and request a CORRECTED 1099.

4. John Randolph Yoak

2

Answered . Yes. If your federal income tax return understates your gross income for the year, your tax liability may also be understated. If the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) identifies the discrepancy and determines that you are underpaid, you will be responsible for paying the additional tax, plus any penalties and interest that accrue. Penalties are generally capped at a certain percentage; however, interest can accrue forever.

If the IRS determines that you intentionally understated your income in order to evade a known tax, they may treat your return as fraudulent. If the IRS does this, you could face substantial civil and criminal penalties. Moreover, the statute of limitations -- the amount of time during which the IRS may audit your federal income tax return -- does not apply to fraudulent tax returns, which means the IRS could potentially audit your federal income tax return and assess additional tax, penalties, and interest at any time in the future.

To avoid these issues, you absolutely should contact the payer to request a corrected 1099-MISC. If the payer refuses to correct the form, you must attach an explanation to your federal income tax return and report your income correctly. In sum, always remember that you are responsible for the accuracy of your federal income tax return; and, as such, you should report your income correctly even if your customers choose not to.