1099 independent contractor A ex client of mine just sent me a threatening email. And cc'd his attorney.

I am a 1099 independent contractor. Recently I terminated my services for a client. He is upset that the new company I'm working for allegedly could be calling his customer list ( I have already got opinions from several attorneys on this site that seem to agreed that his customer list is most likely not going to be considered a trade secret) the question here is about this email I got from him and how to protect myself against harassment. The email he sent me contained 2 threats and maybe even black mail. "We need to talk about how you are going to make this right financially or you will not like the consequences ." "You can try and hide but it won’t work for long."

1. Depending upon the severity of the threats, you may want to have your own attorney respond and point out the potential consequences of those threats, or after consulting with your attorney you may want to file a police report. You may not want to post any more details of this matter on a public site.

2. You should retain your own attorney. The opinion of an attorney who has not thoroughly reviewed the facts and any independent contractor or confidentiality agreement you may have signed is not worth much.

A retained attorney can advise you, and respond if appropriate, to the email you received. IMO, the quoted language, standing alone, does not rise to a culpable threat or blackmail.

Individuals frequently send letters or an email which purport to have also been sent to their attorney. In my experience, this lessens the possibility of follow through.

The attorney-client privilege has also been destroyed with respect to the content of the communication: obviously this is not something an attorney would advise a client to do and usually means the individual has not consulted the attorney but merely added the attorney as a scare tactic. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

3. I agree with my colleagues: It is time for you to retain a lawyer.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.