1 counts of moving violation causing death. what is the max sentensing in michigan if a person is charged with the above crime

Detroit, MI |

crossed red light and t-boned other car killing the other driver.

This question belongs under criminal defense. Reclassified.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

257.601d. It appears that the maximum sentence is 364 days as it is a misdemeanor. As long as no drugs or alcohol or recklessness was involved, that appears to be the maximum sentence.

Chip Venie, 505 766 9000, chipesq@hotmail.com, anothernotguilty.com

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Wouldn't crossing through intersection against a red light be reckless conduct?

D. Chipman Venie

D. Chipman Venie

Maybe, maybe not. I do agree with your assertion that this person needs to hire counsel. There is a death involved and criminal charges swirling. Hire counsel as per Mr. Jones's suggestion.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Just a thought not a criticism. Thanks.

The exact penalties for a conviction of vehicular homicide will depend upon the circumstances of each individual accident. In the state of Michigan vehicular homicide is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and an assessed fine ranging from $10,000 to $20,000.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Vehicular homicide charges vary by state, but it depends on the circumstances, such as whether alcohol was involved, etc. Retain a local criminal lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Here's my concern: You (if you were the driver whose conduct you're describing) or someone else is facing very very serious charges. Collecting information on the Internet (even a fine site like this) makes absolutely no sense to me. Consulting with qualified criminal defense counsel in private is essential. I don't get it; it's the middle of a weekday--hire counsel NOW.

Michael Ryan Juarez

Michael Ryan Juarez

Couldn't agree more.

Were you arraigned on any charge? Part of the purpose of an arraignment is to tell you what you are charged with, and what the maximum possible penalty is. There are a couple of possible different charges (Negligent Homicide being one) that I can think of. It depends on the circumstances (were alcohol/drugs involved, was your license valid at the time, etc.). You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney now. It will be expensive, but this kind of charge can have many ramifications on your life. Make it a priority. Best wishes to you.