1-485 pending & employer closed business. Can I use portability if I don't have L-1 extension in passport and EAD expired.

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

Have new job offer (same type of work). There has been a lapse in my paid employment under original employer due to him closing company. Have had 1-485 interview and an RFE so can I answer RFE on original petition and invoke portability at the same time with new employers letter of job offer even though EAD has expired and USCIS won't issue new ones till they make decision on current pending 1-485? Is a lapse in employment and EAD renewal allowed and does it prevent you from porting? Due to economy it has taken a long time to find new job offer in construction industry.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Has your -485 been pending for more than 180 days?
    IT is likely best to hire an attorney ASAP


    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  2. Kyndra L. Mulder


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As attorney fleischer stated, it is best that you get an experienced immigration attorney to review your case.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on how long your adjustment of status petition has been pending. In order to port, it must have been pending for at least 180 days.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,555 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,555 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering