Skip to main content

1) Do I get any trouble for applying for citizenship? 2) If my case will be deny, do I will be deported from U.S?

Glendale, CA |

Hi my name is Alfonso. I am living in Glendale, California. I have green card and I am permanent resident of U.S almost for more that 5 years. I got arrested in 2011 for domestic battery for slapping my X-girlfriend's face, but case rejected and I did not have any court. I mean I never been in front of judge. I took a letter from District Attorney office located in the court which says" our records indicate that no criminal charges were filed against me by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office in regards to his arrest by the Glendale Police department for charges of battery (PC243(E)(1)). The case was rejected by the Glendale District Attorney's office".
Now I want to apply for citizenship by myself cause I really can not afford even cheapest attorneys. So please help. thanks

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You have described a criminal arrest that did not result in a criminal conviction as the state charges were rejected. Therefore you may apply for U.S. Citizenship however, the exact legal presentation of the case is crucial as even with an admission of a criminal act such as yours as you stated "I got arrested in 2011 for domestic battery for slapping my X-girlfriend's face" the interviewing officer may deny your naturalization for an act of moral turpitude.
    You need to meet with a practicing immigration counsel in person in my opinion.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  2. On your application, you will want to disclose the arrest, and include the letter stating that no charges were filed against you. There may be other considerations before applying for citizenship, so it may be worthwhile to have an attorney guide you through the process. Many attorneys offer payment plans.

  3. I suggest you consult an immigration attorney. You may find one by visiting In your question you make statements that can be misconstrued , for example you state that you were arrested. Do you have an official court disposition/adjudication. You can file for citizenship because you meet the time requirements, however, you should consult an immigration attorney.

    Good luck.

    The information contained on this page is for educational and informative purpose only. This response does not constitute legal advice. The readers of this information should not act based solely based on information contained herein. Answers can only be general, as specific responses can only be provided with full knowledge of case facts.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics