"Wisconsin Non Traffic Citation and Complaint"

Green Bay, WI |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I am 20 years old and was recently stopped while being a passenger in my friends vehicle and he consented to a search. I had two joints of marijuana on me and claimed them as mine so my friend would not get in trouble for my mistake. The officer handcuffed me and drove me to the police station where i was finger printed and had my picture taken. He then issued me "Wisconsin Non Traffic Citation and Complaint" paper with ordinance 8.961.413g violated and a mandatory court date. The officer told me that this is not a misdemeanor and just a citation. He also said that this will not be on my record. On the top right corner it says I have to pay $366. So my question is was this just a citation and will it show up on my record? What am I to expect at the court date? I was going to plead guilty

If the citation is returnable to a municipal court, it is definitely not criminal.

If it is returnable to the circuit court, but the appearance is not mandatory, it is also not criminal. If it is returnable to the circuit court with a mandatory appearance, it is likely a misdemeanor. If the case is in the circuit court, you should eventually be able to pick it up on CCAP as the initial appearance date approaches, and the offense severity will be listed. Good Luck.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

It is a municipal court. Does that mean that I show up for my court date and just pay my ticket? Also since this is returnable at a municipal court does that mean that I wont be listed on CCAP? Thank you for your help.

Michael C. Witt

Michael C. Witt

If the appearance is not mandatory, and you don't plan on contesting the citation, you can probably just send in a check for the suggested bond amount ahead of time, and allow yourself to be convicted by default. That way there will be no admission of record in the event you are sued later. Municipal courts do not participate in CCAP, which is the circuit court access program.

Thank you so much for your help Michael. My court date is mandatory at the municipal court but i was not planning on contesting the citation. So I was planning on showing up pleading guilty and paying my fine. Just to verify this will not be on my record? Also what do you mean in the event that I am sued later? Again thank you!

Michael C. Witt

Michael C. Witt

You will not have a criminal record, but law enforcement records of this incident will be retained indefinitely, and the conviction will show in municipal court records. If the appearance is mandatory, there may be restitution or other issues that need to be addressed. Even if you are not going to contest the charge, plead no contest rather than guilty, as you can be sued civilly for damages by the person you hit.

Thank you for that information. One last question what could the restitution or other issues that need to be addressed consist of with this mandatory court date?

Sorry also one more question could license suspension be a possible outcome from this?

As for whether this will show up on your record, it depends on what you mean by record. This will certainly be part of your arrest record and federal records, as you were fingerprinted/booked. This will not, however, be part of your criminal record.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. What will happen to me on my mandatory court date? Will my license get suspended even though this is not a misdemeanor? Or do i just pay my fine and thats that?

Karyn T. Missimer

Karyn T. Missimer

I do not believe there is a license suspension. I believe Attorney Witt has already answers your other questions. Again, good luck.

Thanks for your help Karyn!