Skip to main content

\when a male officer sit down and searches a females pockets and then have her turn around and make and make a humming noise?

Darlington, SC |

I was at the park in Hartsville after 10pm didnt know it got a trespassing ticket and a litering ticket even thought I didnt litter so the officer says i dont feel like writing the tickets here yall come to the police department so we go there after being honest about everything and coroprative bout everything because we knew the officer he was our high school officer.he reads us our rights and makes us sign statement after that we have a conversation while writing the tickets but then he says ok yall i need to check your pockets so the while he is still sitting down he goes in my front pockets make me turn around so my back is facing him he stop and stares at my butt and says a huming noise and i turn around and say hum what and he says nothing and then i sit down isnt that sexual hara

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I do not practice law outside of Texas but it is my professional opinion as a former police officer and police chief that it is doubtful you have a viable, practical, tort claim against this officer's unprofessional conduct. That being said you certainly could and should file an internal affairs complaint against this officer with his police department and ask them to investigate his unprofessional sexist behavior. If he does this to a female at the station, what is he doing out in the field? Make sure you retain an attorney to defend you on your citations.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at



thank you for the advice i thought i had an case but wasnt sure and thank you once again!!!

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


You are most welcome. Go file that Internal Affairs complaint.


I edited your post to the sexual harassment avvo practice section so more attorneys may view it for a response.

I don't practice in SC, but in my state, KY, law enforcement are given some latitude in the way they perform their duties as arresting/citing officers and as correction officers in the pat down and booking process to protect themselves, the suspect, others that may be present and the security of the jail.

Having said that, it arrears that you were not arrested, but only cited, and given a partial pat down, ( non-evasive, not a full body search nor a cavity search), I assume for weapons or other contraband.

You need to consult with counsel in your area to defend you on the 2 citations and to review the officers actions after the citations. Maybe this can be used in negotiations, but it does not rise to a colorable claim of sexual harassment in my opinion. But, other counsel in SC may disagree with me. Good luck.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


This sounds like misbehavir by this officer. While you were not physically damaged, you certainly were mistreated here. Because your economic harm is small, you probably should not invest in a law suit. But you definitely should file an internal civilian complaint with the police department. Before doing so, you should retain criminal defense counsel to represent you regarding the tickets that you received---he may be able to negotiate a resolution of this situation in the context of filing complaints on your behalf to the police department.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer