?What type of sentence is a person looking at for vehicular manslaughter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

The victim was jaywalking and the person behind the wheel was not intoxicated. His drivers license was expired but he was allowed to commute between school, home and work which he was during the accident. He did however panic and flee the scene.

Pro

22

Answered . Felony hit and run is very serious in any state. He needs a local criminal lawyer asap.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

20

Answered . The biggest determining factor will be what the DA files and ultimately
    what, if anything they're convicted of.

It could be anything from misdemeanor manslaughter (no intoxication &
    primary negligence) to felony (no intoxication but with gross negligence)
    to nothing if they were not at fault.

There is the hit and run aspect to deal with though.

Nobody here can guess at an outcome without knowing all the details,
    including why they didn't have a license at the time.

Bottom line? They need a good defense attorney - one that focuses on
    criminal law and who routinely practices in the court where this case will
    be heard.

Please pardon any typos - posted via mobile device.

3. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

19

Answered . Potentially very serious charges depending on the facts. Leaving the scene greatly complicated the defense. Contact a defense attorney immediately.

4. Adrienne Patricia Allen

16

Answered . I have added a criminal defense category to your question. Good luck.

5. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

17

Answered . He needs to consult with a criminal defense attorney in his area.

6. Malosack Berjis

15

Answered . The driver needs to consult with a criminal defense attorney immediately.

7. Jacqueline Belen Goodman

Pro

11

Answered . Have almost this exact fact pattern in North Orange County. Every case is different. Every defendant is different. Every surviving family makes the context different. But in my Fullerton case, there will be no jail time and a misdemeanor. In similar cases in Fontana currently pending, neither will result in manslaughter convictions, but in the DUI / Hit and Run (victim died), there will likely be a felony (hit and run) with misdemeanor DUI and some custody time, but not the significant state prison we expected at the start of the case.

As Mr. Dane explained, the degree, if any, of negilgence on the part of the driver as shown by the evidence will play a major role in the offers and ultimate disposition and/or conviction. A case involving a jay-walking decedent and a non-negligent or ordinarily negligent driver is quite defensible, and potentially not a crime at all. It is important to know the circumstances of the flight from the scene and have an attorney capable of articulating the autonomic nervous system response to such a traumatic event. The fight-or-flight response disengages the executive functions of the brain and people often "flee" momentarily until they regain their senses. Your description - "he did panic" is particularly apt. It's natural, but some prosecutors need to be educated. Terrible tragedy, but not a crime. One side note, expired licenses don't allow for provisional driving.

I wish you well,

Jacquie

One or more answers have been taken down.