,what is the diffrence between legal gurdianship and temporary custody

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Im trying to give temporary custody to a family member till i get back on my feet.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael John Harrington


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Guardianship is a form of custody of a child awarded to non parents, by either the probate court or the juvenile court (sometimes a family court)temporary custody is an order made pending trial.

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more
  2. Diamond B Tran

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . I assume that the Juvenile Court is not involved since you sound like you are interested in voluntarily giving custody to a relative. This could be done by filing a Probate Court Guardianship Petition. However, you should speak to an attorney first to understand whether this is best for your child or whether an alternative such as a Caregivers Affidavit Authorization may be appropriate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,505 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,505 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering