'Unlicensed Operator' (5091) & Speeding (1180D).

Newark, NY |

I live in NY. I have never been in trouble before. So, i am pretty much terrified of going to court because i could potentially do up to 30 days in jail. I am a single mother. That is not an option. I have had a valid permit for years and I am trying my best to get my license before my court date. I am curious as to possible/usual outcomes for this type of situation, And if i should hire a lawyer.... Thank you for your time.

Unless you were doing 100 miles per hour you are not going to jail. Retain a local traffic court lawyer for the best outcome.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Definitely get a lawyer to get the best results whether fighting it or negotiating it.

3. You should invest in an attorney to avoid a conviction, which may affect your licensing.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Traffic tickets topics