"the state has a tax levy on our account,, we are retired, with just social security and husbands pension what should I do?

Mooresville, IN |

WE ONLY HAVE THESE TO LIVE ON , IM WAITING FOR LIVER TRANSPLANT..WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY INSURANCE TO COVER MY SURGERY

1. If there is a tax lien on your home, you need to speak with an attorney immediately, preferrably one who specializes in taxes and or bankruptcy.

A municipality can force a tax sale if you do not pay your taxes. The tax lien often gains superpriority over all other liens. Frequently, municipalities will sell tax liens to third party debt collectors, who then enforce the lien. The tax sale can be followed by foreclosure.

You should speak with an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should consider speaking with Legal Aid in your area.

Good luck!

www.lawcmc.com

2. Unfortunately, exemption laws usually do not apply to tax authorities. You have compounded the problem if you comingled your pension & social security benefits into one account by depositing both into one account. Talk to your bank manager about applying for an exemption for the money in the account & with luck at least the social security portion can be protected from the levy. Hope this perspective helps!

3. I recommend that you open a separate account for your social security income. Most debts can't be collected from your social security income. I agree with my colleague, you might not be able to protect your pension. I recommend that you open a separate account for your social security income so that this income remains untouched.