"Should I get a lawyer?"

Santa Ana, CA |

I was in a car accident that was my fault, my car was totaled but the other person's car only received 900 dollars of damage. At the time the person seemed fine and drove away, it's been more than a month now since the accident and the person is now claiming whiplash injuries. My auto insurance covers up to 15,000 in bodily injuries for each person, should I get a lawyer just in case the person is seeking more than 15k? She was the only driver in the car and as was I on mine. The initial impact was 20mph.

1. Your carrier will provide counsel.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

2. No. You should let your insurance handle it. Often times the injured party will settle for 'policy limits' releasing you from any excess liability. Unless you have significant assets, you likely will be fine. Wait until the settlement is close to reevaluate. Now might be a great time to re-evaluate your insurance coverage. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

3. If your auto insurance carrier doesn't know about this yet, you may want to report it to them to be sure you will be covered. The insurance company will handle it and if it doesn't settle, they will provide you with an attorney to defend you. Good luck!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. Your insurance company will handle the matter, however, if the injured party claims damages over your limits, you should, indeed, consult with a private attorney to make sure your interests are properly protected.

5. You should report the accident to your insurance carrier if you haven't done so already. If you are sued, the insurance company will assign you an attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

6. Your insurance company will resolve this.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com