(Personal Bankruptcy) - Multiple debts with one creditor but different accounts - list the creditor once or multiple times?

Arlington, VA |

Numerous medical debt. Multiple debts with the local hospital but for various visits for 5 years. Do I have to list the creditor multiple times in my creditors list or just once?

There is no one answer to this question - it is largely a matter of local practice & attorney choice. I tend to list each debt separately because it merges off my credit report software that way & because it makes it easier to correct a credit report once the bankruptcy is over, but I previously combined debts & that worked as well.

Hope this perspective helps!

Best practice may be to address each individual account but by far the most important thing is that the one credit receives that one singular notification that you have filed for bankruptcy protection.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

In most cases, it doesn't matter. But it is always safe to make your schedules as accurate as possible and list each account separately.

The creditor receives one notice no matter how many times you list them. Unless there are differences in the way you treat the debts, like one is not discharged or one is beyond the statute of limitations or one is joint and the others are not, there is no reason to list them separately.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.