(NY)How Do I structure a fair and equitable business relationship with a foreign national who will only contribute 'work'

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

(NY)How Do I structure a fair and equitable business relationship with a foreign national who will only contribute 'work' to an area of the business; but wants to be sponsored for a work visa by the company?

I incorporated a new S Corp as training and consulting firm. I had a business plan detailing my business model, which I discussed with someone from another country. I flew this 'someone' from D.R. to help me define the services to be offered and create a preliminary corp identity (logo). I suggested we could work together to develop a program in Spanish. They expect me to sponsor them for a work visa through my startup. They want an ‘internal’ agreement of partnership and expect disbursements from profits. They want to keep 'ownership' of material they create for the company. They wa

1. Ian Edmund Scott

Answered . There are many options. You need someone to develop a partnership agreement and also work on a Visa for your Partner. Regarding the Visa, you could sponsor through an H-1B Visa or perhaps another depending on the facts of your case. My firm regularly works on Visas for start ups and also works on partnership agreements. Here are a few of our articles on the topic.

http://legalservicesincorporated.com/e-2-treaty...

http://legalservicesincorporated.com/top-questi...

2. Yan Margolin

Answered . There are a variety of ways to get this done in a way that is fair to both parties. Perhaps an incentive-based agreement. Perhaps a full partnership. Since you will be looking to sponsor them in the US, you have a certain amount of leverage when it comes to other terms in the agreement.