"My friend" was issued a bench warrant for DWI. Does he have anything to worry about if he moved to PA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rochester, NY

Lets just say "My Friend" was arrested at a bad time, and was getting ready to move before the arrest. Since then i have moved to Pittsburgh (1 month between arrest and arraignment). "my friend" has no intention on moving back to NY. Should he be worried about getting extradited? Or am I good to go?

replace all "I's" with my friend**

1. Howard A. Schwartz

11

Answered . If you come in contact with law enforcement in PA, it is quite possible you will be arrested and held. The jurisdiction where the warrant is lodged may or may not come to get you.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

11

Answered . If he gets pulled over or into an accident or a cop sees him spit on the sidewalk and decides to issue a summons your friend is going to jail while PA contacts NY to see if they will extradite. They may not extradite for a misdemeanor but might for a felony.

3. Christopher Irvin Simser

11

Answered . Ignoring a warrant is never - never - a good idea. Answer the charges with the assistance of a qualified attorney. Retain one in your area as quickly as possible.

You cannot move away from trouble. Man up and address it.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    Syracuse - Albany - Rochester - Buffalo
    1-800-DWI-TEAM

4. Latrice Vinell Campbell

10

Answered . Yes, you should be worried about getting extradited. "Your friend" should hire an attorney to help defend against these charges.

5. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

10

Answered . Have your friend consult with a NY criminal defense lawyer to handle the case and the open bench warrant.

6. Dominic H. Saraceno

Pro

9

Answered . He should be worried about this. Even if NY does not extradite, he can get detained and held until PA calls NY to ask whether or not they will extradite. This can happen every time he gets pulled over. He might end up spending a couple nights in jail until NY and PA communicate. Additionally, NY will suspend his driving privileges and NY and PA have reciprocity. Therefore, he will not be able to drive in PA.

7. Richard Caro Roxin

7

Answered . Don't take it for granted that a District Attorney's Office in New York State won't extradite for a DWI charge. I can tell you as a former long-time Monroe County (Rochester) prosecutor during which time I served 4+ years as head of the DWI Bureau that my former office and many Upstate DA's Offices will extradite for a DWI. I agree with the previous posting that it is never a good idea to ignore a bench warrant. You'd be well served to retain a local, experienced criminal defense attorney who regularly represents clients charged with DWI to handle the case. The case is not going to go away.

8. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

8

Answered . Your friend's best bet is to hire an attorney to help deal with this. While it is possible that your friend would not get picked up on the warrant and/or extradited, the opposite is also true. I have had many clients leave the state of CA with a pending case, to only be arrested and held on a warrant years later. There is never a good time for something like this to happen, but my advice is to hire a locally experienced DUI attorney to deal with it now. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen