(Michigan) Does collecting disability benefits relieve obligation to pay felony amount of past due child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cadillac, MI

Child is now an adult, payer owes a felony amount of child support but recieves SSI.

1. Melissa J. Houghton-Heinig

1

1

Answered . You should consult an attorney. Child support is not relieved because a person goes on disability. Felony child support is serious and I suggest finding an attorney before you are arrested.

2. Neil M. Colman

Pro

1

1

Answered . If you began receiving SSI ( not SSD?) benefits after the payment amount for the past due support was determined, you should consult an experienced family law attorney about the possibility of getting the payment, not the amount owed, lowered. You cannot expect to have this obligation written off. You should also speak with the attorney about the possibility of requesting a reduction of the amount owed.

Neil M. Colman
    www.divlawyer@gmail.com
    586.254.1100

3. Peter Michael Kulas

Pro

Answered . Collecting disability does not absolve you of an obligation to pay child support. If you are facing felony charges for failure to pay child support, I suggest you contact an attorney right away.