Skip to main content

(Michigan) Do we have to continue paying rent if there is mold growing in the home and the landlord refuses to fix it?

Cadillac, MI |

We have asked for at least two months for the landlord to fix the mold in between the wall and the sink in the kitchen as well as the mold ion the shower and mold growing under the klitchen sink due to the lack of completing repairs? If we find out for sure it is mold, can we sue for our rent money back so we can move and leave our lease early? Iknow mold is dangerous and can times be deadly. What rights do I have?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. If the landlord has a duty to repair such problems under your lease, and if you have followed the instructions in your lease for providing written notice to your landlord, and he has nonetheless failed to repair the problem, you could pay to have the problem fixed yourself, then reduce your next rent payment(s) by the cost of having the problem fixed. It's also possible that you could also recover back rent and have your lease terminated early. Without seeing your lease and knowing what notice you've provided, it's difficult to be more specific. I hope this helps. If it does, please indicate that it was helpful. Take care.

    My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you would like to discuss your matter further so that I may provide you with more specific advice, please take advantage of your free consultation by e-mailing me directly at or by calling me directly at (616) 606 - LAW-6 (5296). If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer you a 10% discount on my fee.