"i was granted asylum in the U.S. Can i fell Derivative Refugee for my brothers or my mom ?"

Asked 10 months ago - Seattle, WA

I'm 23 yeas old

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your mother and your brothers will have to qualify for refugee/asylee status on their own.

    Please see

    Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response... more
  2. Barbara A Marcouiller


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Only spouse or minor children can be derivative asylees. If your mom or siblings were to apply for asylum, their case is stronger, because you were already granted. They would need to show they have reason to fear as well, and the government will get your file to compare and look for inconsistencies or something that might indicate their case or yours wasn't true.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more
  3. Andre R. Olivie

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, but when you become a U.S. Citizen you can petition for your mother and brother. Mom will come within a year but it will take a very long time for your brother. You will be eligible for U.S. Citzienship after you have had your greencard for 4 years. You can apply for a green card after you have had your asylum status for 1 year.

    Andre Olivie
    Seattle Asylum Attorney

    Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not... more

Related Topics

Applying for asylum in the United States

Asylum is a form of protection offered to people who fear persecution in their home country and are in the United States or an entry port.

Applying for refugee status

Refugee status is a form of protection offered to those who fear persecution in their home country, but live outside the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering