"i was granted asylum in the U.S. Can i fell Derivative Refugee for my brothers or my mom ?"

Asked 10 months ago - Seattle, WA

I'm 23 yeas old

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Your mother and your brothers will have to qualify for refugee/asylee status on their own.

Please see

2. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

2

Answered . Only spouse or minor children can be derivative asylees. If your mom or siblings were to apply for asylum, their case is stronger, because you were already granted. They would need to show they have reason to fear as well, and the government will get your file to compare and look for inconsistencies or something that might indicate their case or yours wasn't true.

3. Andre R. Olivie

2

Answered . No, but when you become a U.S. Citizen you can petition for your mother and brother. Mom will come within a year but it will take a very long time for your brother. You will be eligible for U.S. Citzienship after you have had your greencard for 4 years. You can apply for a green card after you have had your asylum status for 1 year.

Andre Olivie
    Seattle Asylum Attorney
    www.olivielaw.com