"Head of Household" exemption/Writ of Garnishment. Does over 50% "support" of dependent include rent/utilities of the home?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

I can't determine if it is just food, clothing etc

Yes, it would include ALL expenses necessary to support the other person.

Florida as a special exemption for Head of Households if wages are $750 per week or less.

Yes, rent, utilities, tires and gas, all expenses of the home are used to support a dependent.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida. If you wish to contact the above attorney, see his profile at this website.

It does not make a big difference as the lawyers, the judges, the creditors and the debtors all know what is meant, but for what it is worth, the precise term is "head of family". "Head of household" is an IRS tax filing status.

Consider also that the dependent does not necessarily have to reside in the home if the dependent were say attending college. There are cases which construe "head of family" differently than how IRS code specifies head of household.

To respond to your question, support for a dependent, which can be an adult child, or a parent, or brother, or some one to whom there is a legal OR a moral obligation to provide support, includes food, clothes, housing, utilities, transportation expense, medical, and so on.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt