"Have you ever had adjudication of guilt withheld?" is this the same as a pre-trial diversion program?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

About a year and half ago I went through a pre-trial diversion program for petty theft, I am now looking for work and on this recent application this is one of the questions "Have you ever had adjudication of guilt withheld for a crime which is a felony or a misdemeanor?" I never went before a judge nor did I plead anything, just did the program which required me to pay a fine and the case was dismissed afterwards. What would be the correct answer for this question? Also I'm aware I can have the charge expunged from my record but I can't afford it right now how would I go about doing the expundgement myself? Thank you in advance for all responses.

1. John Skyler Riordan

4

Answered . Based upon the information you provided the answer to the question is No. PTI is not the same as an adjudication withheld. Your case was dismissed and therefore can answer no. Best advice is to have your record expunged.

2. Zahra Shanaz Umansky

3

Answered . The court would only withhold adjudication if you had entered a no contest or guilty plea. So it sounds like you successfully completed diversion & had the case dismissed. So you should be able to say no to the question. Fdle's website will have information regarding expungement. Or you can call our us, the Umansky Law Firm, at 4072283838 for a free consultation.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

2

Answered . If you did a program called diversion and completed it, your charge was dropped and you can answer No! As far as expunging your record, download an app from FDLE. But I would strongly suggest you hire a local attorney on a payment plan.

4. Zachary Michael Ward

Answered . If you went throught the Pre-Trial Diversion program in Leon County and successfully completed the program the State should/would have filed a No Information in your case. This means the charges were dropped, and you can answer "No" to the question.

If money is the only thing holding you from Expunging this arrest, consider doing it yourself. While most attorneys, including me, will handle sealing and expunging for clients for a fee, most reasonbly intelligent and dilligent individuals can handle a very basic sealing or expungement. Gor to the Clerk of Court's office on the first floor of the Leon County Courthouse and request and Expungement Packet. Try and do it yourself. If it becomes confusing, then contact an attorney.