(DUI) How long does it take to obtain a copy of the police report from my DUI arrest? When does it become available?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Covina, CA

LA County - 1st DUI

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

10

Answered . Typically law enforcement will present it to the prosecutor first and then the prosecutor will not provide it to your or your attorney until the day of arraignment. DUIs are very technical so I would advise you to lawyer up. Many reputable attorneys provide a free consultation. You should meet with at least one before your court date.

2. Matthew Murillo

Pro

9

Answered . Most agencies (all that I've ever dealt with) will never provide it to the suspect until the case is resolved. The court might give you a redacted copy if you decide to represent yourself.

Quickest way to get it is to request a DMV hearing. They will send it to you (or yiur representative) once they receive it from the agency.

3. Robert Laurens Driessen

9

Answered . The quickest way is via the DMV. Make sure you contact them within 10 days of the arrest.
    Robert Driessen

4. Edgar J. Reynoso

Pro

8

2

Answered . It depends on many factors. Some police agencies are quicker than others. It may take the arresting agency longer to prepare the report if they need to interview witnesses, investigate an accident and/or wait for blood results. On average it can take 30 days. As an attorney previously posted don't forget to request the DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest

5. Scott Christopher Nolan

7

Answered . Be glad you live in a state where the police report is something you do get. In Virginia, you get no police report unless the prosecution feels generous.