Skip to main content

"Defective mattress" In 2010 I purchased from a very well known company a mattress for over $ 4000

Brooklyn, NY |

I ve purchased my mattress in 2010 from Sleepys , it supposed to be a high end mattress. A few months later I start having pains at night so I realized something was wrong with my mattress. They sent me a bed inspector and he found that my mattress was defective and it was sinking more than 2 inches. They replaced it with a new mattress. Since then the same thing is being happening for over six times. Every time they replace the mattress it lasts for two months and when the inspector comes its defective. I m tired of this nonsense! I have sustained a serious back injury from a previous accident and in 2012 I had a spine surgery. The defective beds they keep sending me doesn't help with my recovery and I m in pain every day. What can I do legally? Please help me.

They gave me 25 years warranty.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Have you had injury from the mattress, if so then you can bring a injury action, otherwise this is more of a contracts matter (edited the topics so proper attorneys can see and answer), good luck.

    The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Jonathan D. Marx and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney

  2. Have you sought medical treatment?
    If you have a dignosed injury, a doctor would need to provide expert testimony at trial regarding causation. That would be expensive so it really depends on what the injury is.

    Have you asked for a refund?

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. It is likely there is nothing wrong with the mattress given it has been replaced so many times or, if there is something wrong, it is a design defect that will just keep recurring no matter how many times they replace it. You need to try a different mattress. Contact Sleepys corporate office and explain the situation. Tell them you would like to come in and select a comparable new mattress for no further charge. Given the history here, and Sleepys' corporate image concerns, they might just do it, even if you're not entitled to it. Also, on a different note, if you wish to sue Sleepys for personal injury, please note, in NY, there is 3 year statute of limitations for doing so.

  4. Sounds like you should get a different type of mattress. I sleep on a tempurpedic, so i don't have these issues.

  5. I don't understand why you would keep getting the same mattress 6 times as it obviously does not perform as expected after first few times. Tell Sleepy's the specs (detailed) you need for the back issue problem and have them do the research to find you an even better (and different) mattress given the aggravation you have gone through. If they are not willing to do so then sue them for the defective product and ask for your money back so you can go elsewhere to obtain what you need health-wise.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics