"A decision cannot yet be made about your application"?

Dallas, TX |

Hello!

I had my naturalization interview today. After passing the civics/English exam, the officer told me:

"Everything looks great! Unfortunately, we can't approve you just yet because we don't have your complete file. You should be receiving an oath ceremony notice within by the end of May, however."

He then proceeded to give me the N-652 form, which stated that "a decision cannot yet be made about your application."

Should I be concerned? Is there anything that I should do?

Thank you.

1. This is not uncommon as the agencies are completely over-worked and simply may need more time and information to render a decision. Don't worry too much - if your immigration attorney who no doubt helped you prepare your citizenship application advised you that you have no serious issues and your application is complete, and you have truthfully disclosed any issue(s) you may have, it should be fine.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

2. Nothing to worry about at all. It is very common for officers to say that you will get a decision in the mail. Good Luck!

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.

3. Normal. You just need to be patient and wait for the USCIS to get your complete file. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. That is very normal and it sounds very probable that you will be receiving a notice to appear at an oath ceremony soon. If something comes up, you will be notified. In the meantime, there is nothing you can do and nothing to be gained by worrying anyway, so just relax and be proud for doing well in the interview.