"5. ASSIGNMENT AND SUBLETTING. Tenant shall NOT assign any portion of this Agreement." Does this mean I can sublet?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am renting a garage and am curious if this means that I am allowed to sublet at a higher cost than what I pay. I am currently month to month with the landlord.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . No, it does not mean you can sublet to someone else, especially not to receive a higher rent than you are currently paying to your landlord.

2. Eric Louis Toscano

1

Answered . As Mr. Chen noted, the phrase you cited does not give you permission to sublet. The term “assign” in your lease does not likely refer to assigning a physical portion of your garage space to someone else but rather to assigning your rights under the lease to someone else (which, based on the provision you quoted, is prohibited). A complete description of Section/Paragraph 5 would be necessary to understand whether the lease permits you to sublet.

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . Since the heading is "assignment and SUBLETTING" I would say that is the intent of the phrase. No subletting.