"19 years old, what consequences am i looking at for possession of marijuana less than 1 oz and trespass?

Las Vegas, NV |

today i received a citation for possession of marijuana less than 1 oz and trespassing on school grounds, what can the consequences be? this is my first offense and sadly i can't afford to hire a lawyer. am i going to go to jail or pay fines or do community service? i feel like i might not go to jail because if it was that serious i feel like i would have gotten arrested at that moment but i'm scared that i will be going to jail.

Both of the charges are misdemeanors (I don't believe they are gross misdemeanors). I believe the Nevada law for first offense marijuana is only a fine drug counseling class, and trespassing has a max punishment of 6 months in jail and a fine.

You need to talk to an attorney about the charges. Only after a careful review of the facts and circumstances would any advice be relevant and helpful. Any disposition/sentence will depend on the charges, any aggravating factors, prior record, etc. Most criminal lawyers offer free consultations and afterward you should have a better understanding of what you are facing.

I am licensed to practice criminal and DUI law in VA, not NV. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; and therefore, my response may be incorrect or inappropriate. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Probably not going to go to jail. Find a way to afford private counsel. You will end up better off.