" BEARER IS NOT SUBJECT TO SECTION 212(E)" and the 2 year rule is applied ??

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

I am in the United States on J-1 visa that was issued on the 20th of October 2012 and it will expire on the 31st of July 2013 ( short term Scholar ) and I am on a grant covered by my country's government. In the interview for the visa the counselor told me that the 2 year rule is applied because the grant is funded by my government but when I received the visa it was written " BEARER IS NOT SUBJECT TO SECTION 212(E)". I dont get it, is the 2 year rule applied to me or not. can I now apply for an H-1 visa ?? Thanks

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Take a look at your DS-2019 and see what it says about the 2-year home residency requirement.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Raha Torabi

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Typically, when you receive funding from your government - as you did in your case - you are subject to rule 212(E). Relying solely on the stamp in your passport is not a smart idea. The immigration officer will look at the circumstances surrounding your entrance into the US including your initial J-1 application when reviewing your application to adjust status to H, L or permanent resident status.

    It is important to note that when applying to the J-1 program, you signed documentation stating that you understand and are willing to comply with INA 212(e) if it applies to you. (which it seems to).

    Because your stamp contradicts what the statute says about 212(e), it may be beneficial to seek the assistance of an immigration attorney to help you determine your options and correct status.

    Best of luck!

    This is not legal advice & no attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact... more
  3. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Usually, in your situation, the 2 year rule will apply. I would ask the sponsoring organization/host to verify.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,290 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,290 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering