. ask he can i visit usa with old green card , what happen , and can he get new green card

Asked 12 months ago - Hoover, AL

my husband have green card and social security since 1977 and leave usa from that time , and he not enter usa from that time can he now , its not expired ( waved )

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Rephrase your quesiton in a form that it could be understood. Then, repost.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Ajay Kumar Arora

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He should surrender his green card to a U.S. Consulate and apply for a visitor visa.

    The consulate may issue a visitor visa if it is satisfied that he plans to visit the U.S. for no more than 6 months and then return to his country.

    If you are a U.S. citizen, you can file an immigrant petition for him if he wants to immigrate to the U.S. More information is required to provide a better answer.

  3. Fernanda Nunes Hottle


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If he has been out of the US for this long, that means he abandoned his US residency. Even if his card does not have an expiration date (the old cards did not), he will likely be placed in removal proceedings when trying to cross the border, and will have to attempt to convince an immigration judge that he did not mean to abandon his residency - which will be hard to do, due to the period of time passed.

    If he only plans to come for a visit, probably best thing would be to apply for visitor visa at the embassy/consulate.

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,542 answers this week

2,435 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,542 answers this week

2,435 attorneys answering