" USCIS " has made a wrong entry on my status in US . How can I get it corrected ?

Silver Spring, MD |

I visit US regularly on 1 visa . I have a Maryland driving license that I renew each time I come here . This time when I went for renewal , there was something flagged and they sent my papers for verification of 'lawful status' to SAVE . SAVE informed them that I am supposed to have a green card according to DHS or " USCIS " records . Now I have never applied for one , nor aspired to . But I believe that the immigration clerk perhaps may have made a mistake on the port of entry - - i dunno . But I cannot get my driving license renewed . Also think that this will come up each time I enter the US now . SO how do I get this corrected ? I tried getting an appt with " USCIS " but there is no option for something like this . I can't recall this happening to anyone either

What needs to be done depends on what you mean by "1 visa." Visas in the US begin with a letter and are never a single digit.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I am sorry it was a B-1 visa, somehow I missed B.

there is no "1" visa. give us your visa type - it should start with a letter. Whether you can or cannot have a driver license will depend on that as well.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

you are not eligible to have a driver license with this visa, sometimes flukes do happen and people receive it, but not supposed to. If you have an I-94 and it says B-1, I do not believe there is a mistake anywhere

Irene, I am not sure though, as this is the third time I renewed license. hey very carefully check my documents and MD does allow restricted license with the same expiry date as mentioned on my I-94. The only lacuna because of which they could not renew it was because of what they received from USCIS after they checked on my status. My wife and I went together for renewal. Hers was renewed. Thanks any ways for taking the time to respond to my question.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

sounds very weird. My own friends got a license on a B-2 when I told them absolutely not, but they had the required points for NY, just no status

I agree with my colleague.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration