Skip to main content

....if i take a divorce now,did she can do anything to make me lose my green card?

Guyton, GA |
Filed under: Divorce Immigration

I got married before 8months ,my wife apply for me because we got married, but things are not like at the begging, she is mad all the time,she detecting me always with no reason!,she even make me change my cellphone plan to her account so she can check who I talk, she yells at me all the time, every thing I do is not correct for her, some times I am scare of going home because she can be depress or mad for anything, she has 3kids (joint custody with her husband)and usually they don't respect me like as a step father,the last months I realize that she take amphetamine salts (by prescriptions), I don't know what to do, I use to love her but now I am scare of her. I'm sure that she DO NOT going to help me at the divorce!!

Attorney Answers 2

  1. First, there is no reason to be scared. Your safety is the most important thing. I assume you have a conditional (2 year) green card. If you get divorced, you will be able to file an I-751 petition to remove the conditions on your residency by yourself. You may also be able to do so based on a cruel treatment waiver, but I would need to know more information. Right now, concentrate on your safety, but do see an experienced attorney who can properly guide you.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. It all depends on whether you can prove you entered the marriage in good faith and not just to get a green card.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics