....if i take a divorce now,did she can do anything to make me lose my green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Guyton, GA

I got married before 8months ,my wife apply for me because we got married, but things are not like at the begging, she is mad all the time,she detecting me always with no reason!,she even make me change my cellphone plan to her account so she can check who I talk, she yells at me all the time, every thing I do is not correct for her, some times I am scare of going home because she can be depress or mad for anything, she has 3kids (joint custody with her husband)and usually they don't respect me like as a step father,the last months I realize that she take amphetamine salts (by prescriptions), I don't know what to do, I use to love her but now I am scare of her. I'm sure that she DO NOT going to help me at the divorce!!

1. Irene Vaisman

Answered . First, there is no reason to be scared. Your safety is the most important thing. I assume you have a conditional (2 year) green card. If you get divorced, you will be able to file an I-751 petition to remove the conditions on your residency by yourself. You may also be able to do so based on a cruel treatment waiver, but I would need to know more information. Right now, concentrate on your safety, but do see an experienced attorney who can properly guide you.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . It all depends on whether you can prove you entered the marriage in good faith and not just to get a green card.