- I practice in bankruptcy, unfair collection practices, debt defense, student loan, and wrongful repossessions and foreclosures.
- I'm a founding member of the Bankruptcy Law Network (www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com) and a regular contributor to the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and the Bankruptcy Roundtable listservs, two specialized bankruptcy forums on the Internet.
- I've mentored bankruptcy practitioners throughout the Commonwealth and an original member of the local bankruptcy court rules committee.
- I'm recognized by my peers as an expert in consumer bankruptcy issues.
- My clients rate me "excellent" in client surveys.
- Among my successes are:
- Stopping foreclosure deficiency notices after a bankruptcy is filed. Silva v. Harmon, D MA 2003 (CA 01-30140-MAP).
- Punishing an out-of-state law firm controlling in-state bankruptcy litigation. BNA v. Steele, Bankr D MA 2003 (02-4137).
- Allowing conversion from Chapter 7 to Chapter 13 without having to immediately pay a Chapter 7 trustee's fees.
- Permitting a Chapter 13 plan to be more affordable by forcing the use "liquidation" value for keeping unprotected assets, less the estimated fees of a hypothetical Chapter 7 trustee.
- Obtained immediate Chapter 13 protection from creditor harassment without having to pay attorney fees first.
- I am at the cutting edge in the region for mortgage defense litigation. My greatest pride is in avoiding needless, costly litigation and risks for my clients by successful pre-filing planning and by well-grounded attacks on unlawful creditor practices.
Licensed since 1982
Hourly ($140-315/hour), Fixed (Sometimes), Retainer (Sometimes), Free Consultation (30 minutes)
I have been a friend and colleague of Jed's since 1999, working with him in a variety of venues. Jed is, simply, one of the nicest, most caring, understanding and thoughtful human beings I have ever met. Those qualities translate into his legal practice, enabling him to take a thoughtful and educated approach to solving the problems presented by his clients each day. This is the lawyer I'd send my family members to if they were in Springfield, MA and needed a bankruptcy lawyer.
Jay Fleischman Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney
Relationship: Fellow lawyer in community
Jed is a seasoned professional. His knowledge of bankruptcy is encyclopedic and his commitment to the field is extensive. He is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and has consistently contributed to the improvement of bankruptcy laws and relief for consumers. I can think of no Massachusetts lawyer I would rather refer a client to.
Kent Anderson Bankruptcy & Debt Attorney
Relationship: Fellow lawyer in community
|Award Name||Grantor||Date Granted|
|Certificate of Appreciation||Massachusetts Bar Association||1987|
|Owner||Berliner Law Firm||1989 - Present|
|Head of Trial Practice Division||Kamberg, Berman||1985 - 1988|
|Associate Attorney||Silverman and Kudisch||1982 - 1984|
|Staff Attorney||Upper Peninsula Legal Services||1977 - 1982|
|Association Name||Position Name||Duration|
|Bankruptcy Law Network||Founding Member||2007 - Present|
|National Association of Consumer Advocates||Member||2006 - Present|
|National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees||Associate Member||2006 - Present|
|Hampden County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Committee||Chair||2001 - 2002|
|National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys||Member||1996 - Present|
|American Bankruptcy Institute||Member||1982 - Present|
|Silva v. Harmon, D MA 2003 (CA 01-30140-MAP)||Class action settlement|
|MBNA v. Steele, Bankr D MA 2003 (02-4137)||Settled|
|Giza v. Deutsche Bank, et al||Ch 13 debtor may have mortgage removed if insufficient notices given, lender's motion to Dismiss DENIED.|
|Mortgage Law Network||ongoing blogs on foreclosure defense issues||2007|
|Bankruptcy Law Network||ongoing blogs on consumer bankruptcy issues||2007|
|Letters For Bankruptcy Lawyers: Essential Communications||contributor||2005|
|Clearinghouse Law Review||Supplementary Security Income, A Practical Overview||1980|
|Bankruptcy Boot Camp||Bankruptcy Litigation||Certificate||2012|
|Fair Debt Collection Practices Boot Camp||Suing Debt Collectors and Creditors||Completed||2012|
|University of Kansas School of Law||Law||Juris Doctor||1977|
|Cornell University||Social Psychology||A.B.||1972|
|Webinar||Attorney Fees in Chapter 7 & Chapter 13||2013|
|Members-Only Workshop||Attorney Fees in Chapter 7 & Chapter 13||2013|
|Members-Only Workshop||Due Diligence Information Searches||2013|
|Spring State Chapter Meeting||Trustee Meetings and Unsettled Issues of the New Law||2010|
|Fall State Chapter Meeting||Means Test Concerns||2010|
|Fall 2010 Meeting||Case Law Updates||2010|
|Annual Conference||Consumer Bankruptcy Law Office Management||2004|
|New Local Rules of the federal District Court||Subset: The First Ten Rules||1987|
|Organizational Conference||Overview of Supplemental Security Income||1980|