Skip to main content
Christopher John Slottee

Christopher Slottee’s Answers

3 total

  • My father verbally abuses me can the cops do anything about me being in his care, i feel unsafe.

    him and my mom are in a custody battle for me. the final hearing is on the 9th

    Christopher’s Answer

    If you genuinely feel unsafe and that someone is going to harm you, you should call the police. You also have the option of seeking a protective order against the person you feel is going to hurt you.

    Under the law, a person can get a protective order against family member if that family member commits a "crime of domestic violence." If you show probable cause that a crime of domestic violence has occurred, which can, under some cases, include verbal threats/abuse, the Court will issue a protective order which bars the other person from contacting your in person or otherwise.

    The first step is to obtain what is called an "ex parte" protective order. To do this you fill out a form at the Courthouse and will then be shown to a judge where you can describe what happened. The other person (i.e. the person against whom you are getting a protective order) will not be there for this hearing. If the Court issues a protective order at this hearing, it will be good for 20 days. The police will give a copy of the protective order to the person against whom it is issued.

    After 20 days, a hearing will be held at which time you can present your evidence again and the other person has an opportunity to present a defense. If the Court concludes after that hearing that a crime of domestic violence has occurred, the Court will then issue a long-term protective order that is in effect for up to a year.

    It is a crime to violate a protective order. That means that if a protective order is issued and the person violates the protective order, the police can/should arrest them for the violation.

    The procedure for obtaining a protective order is described at the Court system's website, at the following link:

    The court clerks will also help guide you through the process and you do not need an attorney to ask for a protective order.

    If you are in Anchorage, you should file petitions for protective orders at the "old" courthouse at 303 K Street.

    See question 
  • Do I need a lawyer to change my last name?

    my husbands son has his mothers last name and wants to change it to ours. Can we do this on our own or do we need a lawyer?

    Christopher’s Answer

    You do not need an attorney to change your name. The Court system provides a free packet that should guide you through the process of changing your name. Here is a link to it:


    See question 
  • WHat happens if I refuse to sign a medical release of information ordered by the court in a child custody battle?

    My ex husband and I work in the same hospital. I was recently hospitalized with a head injury. He found out from fellow employees. He told his lawyer and his lawyer petitioned the court to get my medical records. The court granted this request and...

    Christopher’s Answer

    The narrow issue is what do you have to do in response to the Court order. If the Court ordered you to sign a medical records release, then you have to comply with the terms of the Court order or file an appeal (called a Petition for Review in your case given that the case has not concluded yet). If you ignore the Court order, or refuse to comply with the order, then you could be subject to sanctions from the Court. Before signing the unlimited release, however, you should insure that the release is consistent with the Court order. If the Court only ordered you to produce certain records (such as the ones relating to your head injury) then you should only sign a release that authorizes disclosure of those limited records.
    In regards to HIPAA generally, it is not a violation of HIPAA to produce records when the records request is accompanied by a valid medical records release. It is also not a violation of HIPAA to produce records in response to a Court order. Finally, it is not a violation of HIPAA for a court to order certain records to be disclosed, provided that the patient whose records are being disclosed had an opportunity to object to the Court and argue that their records should not be disclosed.
    If you think that the Court's decision was wrong and that the Court failed to consider an argument or law, you can file a motion for reconsideration. You, however, typically only have 10 days after the Court issued its decision to file the motion for reconsideration.

    See question