John Michael Terpin’s Answers

John Michael Terpin

Seattle Entertainment Lawyer.

Contributor Level 1
  1. To file forms I-130 and I-485 together or not?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Greg McLawsen
    2. Barbara A Marcouiller
    3. Rizwan M Khalid
    4. John Michael Terpin
    5. Ajay Kumar Arora
    6. ···
    7 lawyer answers

    First, I would schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney. Oftentimes individuals feel that there are no other issues however immigration is an extremely complex area of law and things that may not seem important can prove to be extremely important. That being said, there is no benefit that I can see from filing an I-130 separately first, and then later filing the I-485. You cannot file the I-765 along with an I-130 but you can along with the I-485. Being married to a USC gives...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  2. Form I-864A How many tax returns do we need to provide to immigration?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Giacomo Jacques Behar
    2. Lynne Rogers Feldman
    3. John Michael Terpin
    4. Barbara A Marcouiller
    5. F. J. Capriotti III
    6. ···
    8 lawyer answers

    It is true that the I-864 form only asks you to provide adjusted gross income for the last three tax years and a copy of the most recent year's income tax return. It is good practice, however, to actually submit the income tax returns for the last three years with all schedules and W-2 forms. I generally give USCIS more than is required so that they do not ask for more later. The fact is, if the officer has a question as to your income (or anything else), they can ask for whatever they want...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  3. Do I need a family lawyer?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Dave Hawkins
    2. Bruce Clement
    3. Jay W. Neff
    4. John Michael Terpin
    4 lawyer answers

    In your situation I believe that you could be appointed as primary custodian, but there is not "full custody" in Washington State. Furthermore, it is very difficult to terminate parental rights of the other party. That being said, you could craft a parenting plan that limits the father's visitation based on "abandonment" and his drug and alcohol abuse. Furthermore, it is possible to pursue the parenting plan without his participation if he is not willing to participate in the legal process,...