Phillip Alden Tavel

Phillip Alden Tavel

About Me 

I started my legal career as a volunteer for a public defender agency, and I fell in love with the job.  I really liked helping people, especially when they were scared and in the unfamiliar setting of a courtroom and didnt know what to do, or what was going to happen.  I then began working full-time for a public defender agency in Seattle and I enjoyed it even more.  I handled over 2000 cases in my time with the public defender, and then I moved on to private practice.  I now do about 80% of my work for the Office of Public Defense and the other 20% is private.  I have been to trial on everything from Trespass to Murder, and a few things in between.  I am happy to help and answer any questions that a potential client may have.  I don't charge for answering questions, just for representing people, and I will always try to make payments work for a client.  I think that it is very important for people to look around when they are trying to find an attorney.  Just because an attorney charges a large amount for their representation doesn't make them good, and just because Public Defenders are free doesn't make them bad - we all went to law school, but every lawyer is different.  A client should always trust their lawyer - they are their advocate, their voice in the courtroom and trust and communication should always be open.