Based on 6 reviews
Help make it easier for other Avvo users to choose the right lawyer by sharing your experience with this attorney. It's fast, simple, and safe.
Lawyers: Use the Peer Endorsements section to provide input about other attorneys.
Posted by Jack, a Divorce client,
I hired Bob Edwards last year in 2012 for my divorce case and he took thousands of dollars. I hired another lawyer who saved me tens of thousands dollars if I would continue with Bob Edwards; the other lawyer only charged me $225 an hour and $100 for meetings. Bob Edwards basically over charged me for everything he did. I filed fee arbitration against Bob Edwards and the arbitrator has awarded me back almost a thousand dollars. His agreement is a sham. He did not explain the charges to me and had I signed it right away. As a result, the arbitrator was not able to award me more money because of his sham agreement. Here are the items he over charged me:
1) He charges $290 an hour, $300 for court appearance and charge a ridiculous $290 for filing fees in which he take the forms to the court. The arbitrator found that its “unconscionable” to charge $290 for filing fee and awarded me back some of that amount for the three times he charged me to filed the forms. My ex-wife’s lawyer had her forms faxed to the court and only charged her $8 dollars. He even charges the travel time to and from the court for court appearance which my ex-wife’s lawyer and my other lawyer did not charge. Overall, he over charged me $1500 for the five travel time to and from the court for filing fees and court appearances.
2) The free consultation on the initial meeting, which he charged me and the arbitrator has granted me back the money
3) He charges a minimal 3/10 hour for any transaction he did even though it only takes a couple of minutes such as talking to you over the phone for couple of minutes and reviewing the letter from another lawyer which should only take a few minutes. He said he charges a minimal 3/10 hour even if it only took him couple minutes because he had to annotate that transaction. The arbitrator does not agree with charging a client for 3/10 hour minimally.
4) He over charged me for the conferences we had. There were two conferences we only spent 15 and 20 minutes, which he charged me for 45 minutes and 1 hour.
5) He charged me $290 for copying my file and returning it to me after I fired him as my lawyer. The State Bar website clearly stated a lawyer is not allowed to charge for the file the client request. He later returned that money to me after I told him so.
6) He doesn’t have an email address and does not use emails, so when you call him, he will charge you a minimal 3/10 hour
On his billing statement, he states that his charges is “extremely reasonable” He is such a sham. I have paid him over $6000 and he did not do anything for me other than file some forms for me. If you are going to hire him, prepare to be over charge and get piss off.
Posted by Steven, a Divorce client,
I have been a client of Bob Edwards for years. He has handled my divorce case when my contentious ex-wife went out of her way to hire an equally contentious useless attorney. He solves problems, and gets things done. This is what an attorney does. He puts personalities aside,
Posted by Christina, a Divorce client,
Every time I called he would take my calls and answered everything I needed. He always called me to inform me what was going on in my case.
Posted by a Divorce client,
I would not suggest using Bob Edwards for a divorce. While he is knowledgeable and portrays himself to care and be sympathetic, the truth is he cares more about what the judge thinks of him rather than the mess he'll leave you in. When he told me that he wants to show the judge that he can quickly being a resolution to a case, I should have run. That ended up costing me close to 25K. He was never aggressive and seemed to always play the defensive card when it came time to prove or challenge accusations. He only cared about himself.
Posted by Nancy, a Child Support client,
Bob has been my attorney since my divorce in 2009. He explains things in a way anyone could understand. I do not understand anything of the legal system and after I was divorced I tried to do a remodification for child support. After I screwed up everything I called Bob and he seen me that day. He has been a relief to me and my kids I highly recommend him to everyone
Posted by a Divorce client,
PROCEED WITH CAUTIONS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY! Here is Bob's statement from his website...."As your attorney, I will represent your interests so you don't have to worry about your divorce. You will be able to focus on your job, your family and other things that are important to you. I will keep you informed of matters related to your divorce case. I will get you through the divorce process with the least amount of stress to you. Once your divorce is completed you will be very happy with my performance. You will refer friends and family members to me for their divorce." This is not the case at all...Bob Edwards talks fast and quotes civil codes and he trys to intimdating you into what he wants and it may not be in your best interest. I paid him $11k and then had to hire another attorney for over $10k to get me out of the mess he got me in. I would not consider or refer his services to anyone I know not even an enemy.