Jennifer Tennant is an attorney with experience in employment, compliance, and general business. Jennifer has worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing (ASM) for over 2.5 years. ASM is a global retail solutions company, providing innovative outsourced sales and marketing solutions for consumer goods companies and retailers, with over 40,000 employees, generating over $65B in retail sales.
Prior to ASM, Jennifer was Compliance Counsel for HireRight’s family of background screening and drug testing companies. Jennifer advised the company on compliance with pre-employment regulations, federal/state/local credit reporting laws, and privacy laws. Jennifer researched and interpreted legislation for background screening requirements affecting specific industries, including healthcare, transportation, education, retail, and financial services. Jennifer also reported on pending legislative and regulatory changes, developed compliance policies, tools, and materials, and worked closely with the sales, marketing and product teams to review marketing and product content for legal compliance.
Prior to going in-house, Ms. Tennant was an attorney at an employment and business law firm and has experience in transactional and litigation work. In her transactional practice, she advised businesses regarding contract interpretation, compliance with laws, and drafted business related agreements. Jennifer audited businesses for compliance with federal and state employment laws, developed preventive policies, handbooks, employment agreements, and other employment documents to avoid employment claims and litigation. Jennifer advised employers regarding various personnel issues, including wage and hour claims, interviewing and hiring, leaves of absence, disability and accommodations, exemption status, discipline, and termination. Jennifer assisted clients with responses to harassment, discrimination, retaliation, workplace violence, or other complaints. Jennifer also previously worked as a Human Resources Administrator for Neutrogena Corporation and an Affiliate Representative in Finance Services for Johnson & Johnson.
Ms. Tennant’s employment experience includes:
Defended claims such as:
· Wage and hour claims against a software company
· Pregnancy discrimination actions against a finance lender
· Racial discrimination and disability discrimination actions to the DFEH against a power provider
· Hostile work environment harassment claim to the DFEH against a property management company
· 132a claims of wrongful termination in violation of public policy against staffing clients
Negotiated settlement of:
· Misclassification of independent contractor for a health care software provider
· Unpaid commission claim against an online advertising company
· Disability discrimination claim for a retail store
· Unpaid bonus claims with the DLSE on behalf of a software service company
· OSHA violations on behalf of a residential property management company
· I-9 violations on behalf of a restaurant
Ms. Tennant received a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Rutgers University and a Juris Doctor degree from Western State University College of Law. Jennifer is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Jennifer is a member of several professional organizations including the State Bar of California, the Orange County Bar Association, and the Celtic Bar Association.