Kevin K. Denton’s Answers

Kevin K. Denton

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 6
  1. I need someone input on my declaration and if i should fight my ticket or just go to traffic school . thanks in advance

    Answered about 6 years ago.

    1. John M. Kaman
    2. Kevin K. Denton
    2 lawyer answers

    I disagree. You should always try trial by written declaration first because it gives you an extra bite at the "win by default" apple. There is some chance that the police will not complete their paperwork in time and the case will be dismissed. And, even if this does not happen, you can request an automatic trial de novo, which is a whole new trial in person. Again, there is a chance that the ticketing officer won't show to your new trial and your case will be dismissed. Now if the...

    2 people marked this answer as helpful

  2. If you have a criminal case in arkansas and you live in california can you have your case transfered?

    Answered about 6 years ago.

    1. Kevin K. Denton
    2. Ben Walter Pesta II
    3. Ronald S. Pichlik
    3 lawyer answers

    No. Assuming your case is a state and not a federal case, your case must be dealt with in the jurisdiction for which it was charged. If you fail to appear in Arkansas, a warrant will likely issue for your arrest. If the prosecution in Arkansas becomes aware of your whereabouts in California, they will work with the authorities in your area to have you extradited back to California. California will cooperate with the authorities in Arkansas pursuant to the full-faith and credit clause of the...

  3. What is the best way to respond to a district attorney who is provoking me

    Answered about 6 years ago.

    1. Ben Walter Pesta II
    2. Alan James Brinkmeier
    3. Kevin K. Denton
    3 lawyer answers

    You have an absolute right to refuse to answer any question posed by the DA. The problem with trying to exercise that right on your own is that the DA is permitted to come back to you repeatedly to try to get you to waive that right. You absolutely should hire an attorney who will call the DA and inform him that you are represented by counsel and that you are exercising all of your state and federal constitutional rights, including your right not to incriminate yourself and to have a lawyer...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer