Based on 7 reviews
Help make it easier for other Avvo users to choose the right lawyer by sharing your experience with this attorney. It's fast, simple, and safe.
Lawyers: Use the Peer Endorsements section to provide input about other attorneys.
I was looking for a good defense attorney and saw some positive reviews so I took the plunge with him. Looking back, I would have done better with a public defender! Do not your hard-earned money on him.
I got fooled by his advertised background as a paramedic and a christian, thinking he must be a good person at heart before being a good attorney. Boy! I was so wrong!
He required his flat fee paid in full upfront! That was a big mistake on my part.
Once he got paid, everything he does seems to be a "favor" for you.
There are so many details that he's done me wrong, but here are the key things:
- He either missed court date, arrived late or sent someone on his behalf
- He didn't even know the DA's name on my case until the preliminary hearing. He lied about "trying his best" to negotiate my plea bargain. I found out after the fact that he NEVER talked to anyone in the DA office. On the morning of the prelim hearing, at my insistence, he talked to the wrong DA.
- He got me an initial "deal" sentence of 16 months which 2 months more than my public defender did
- He had no clue about inner working of the sentencing enforcement, in particular, the house arrest and actual time served with no early release
- He's interested in getting your case done as quickly as possible and has no compassion for you, even if it means you'll be sent to jail for more than your fair share.
Even when I came up with ideas to sell to the DA to negotiate my plea bargain, he shot them down. He acted truly like a DA, instead of a defense attorney
- He talked down to you and belittled you. He sees you as a common criminal and deserves it. Some of his infamous direct quotes were "at the end of the day, I go home and you'll in jail"; or "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" (and thus justified his incompetency and laziness that whatever the DA handed down to him, it's the "best" for you. He doesn't care about 2nd chance or redemption)
- He didn't even know my charge level. He was repeatedly "confused" about classification of felony & misdemeanor
- He refused to do the most basic request such as get an extension for your surrender, despite it'd take him literally 30 seconds.
- Once he put you in jail. Don't count on him to ever answer your phone or your family's
Beware that he will appear to be charming and informed, but he's a good actor and can lie with a straight face. I learned it the hard way after I was put in jail! but then it was too late.
David is very knowledgeable and approaches his work with a creative problem solving mind. He commands respect and is decisive. He was consistently very responsive anytime we needed him whether very early or very late by text, email or phone. One of the things I appreciate most about working with David is his willingness to consistently be direct, honest, set clear and realistic expectations while at the same time extending compassion. I highly recommend him!
I had the privilege of having David as my lawyer. My situation was really hard, as a young kid who made a mistake it was refreshing to have someone who is established and very good at what he does. He is without a doubt the kind of lawyer who fights for you, I knew from the beginning I was in good hands with David. I would whole heartedly recommend him to anyone needing legal advice or services. I hope to never need legal services again but if that ever happens I will be calling him.
I am so fortunate to have had David working with me on my case. I have never been in any legal trouble and David was extremely informative and professional all the time. I paid one very reasonable fee and he helped me through my horrible ordeal for almost two years. I could always get a hold of him even if it was for something simple. He constantly reassured me that he would get me the absolute best results, and he did. I could not have asked for a better lawyer.
David has been a true life saver for our family. David worked with us through a difficult time, kept us aware of what was going on and eased our minds about the pending results. David was always available, no matter the time, and made us feel like we were the most important person. His patience and kind demeanor made all the difference in the world to me during what I thought to be a very difficult situation. I would highly recommend David to anyone seeking representation. Bless you David.
I met David during a seminar a while back... To say the least when I got into legal trouble I called Mr. Givot and he responded immediately. Yes, he is very good at talking with his clients and bringing hope to their case... However David also prepared me for the worst case scenario. I was very satisfied with david! He explained to me step by step, what to expend in my near future and issues that could arise later on from my experiences. For me David felt like a professional defender. He is an excellent lawyer.
Not only is David overly priced for this talents, I paid a large retainer and never received an hourly billing statement showing me where the money was spent. I was in a drastic situation and David was no help in his negotiations. He speaks well to his clients, but working with him I saw the lack of connections in the legal community that an attorney should have with his pricing. The sentencing I received could have been done with a public defender! Why pay for what you can get for free.