Skip to main content
Hyung S Choi

Hyung Choi’s Answers

47 total

  • Can a collection agency come after you for debt that you already satisfied?

    My wages were garnished for a debt from a broken lease. The judgement was satisfied. I have the paper work that states the case # and that it was satisfied. Now, 1 year later, the collection agency is coming after me again for the same exact amoun...

    Hyung’s Answer

    In addition to the FDCPA violation This may also be a Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) violation if the Collection agency is reporting this on your credit report. You should check your credit report. You should then consult with an attorney that handles FDCPA and FCRA cases for your options. A successful handling of FCRA case requires specific technical knowledge and therefore you should seek an attorney that is knowledgeable about FCRA.

    See question 
  • I have an old debt (unsecured) that will be 7 yrs 180 days past due in Oct. MCM is reporting the debt as current is this legal?

    Midland Credit Management is a debt buyer, about a year ago they purchased an old unsecured loan I had that I stopped paying on in 2008. I believe the Statute of Limitations has passed on getting sued and I planned on riding out the 7 yrs, 180 da...

    Hyung’s Answer

    This is illegal under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. And from potential creditor’s view, recent default is far worse compared to a default that is 7.5 years old.

    Attorney Bunce also raises valid point valid. However, if you feel this debt is beyond the statute of limitations, you should dispute with all credit reporting agencies (such as Equifax, Transunion, and Experian) that are wrongly reporting this item. For helpful guide, go to You should point out to the credit reporting agencies the corresponding original account which the debt collector eventually purchased. If the credit reporting agencies refuse to correct the wrongful information, you should seek attorneys that focus on helping people with credit reporting problems at Good luck.

    See question 
  • I purchased a used car and a month later financing was declined. Do I have to pay for the miles I put on the car?

    The dealer said I was approved for financing. They kept working with the finance company and me to show proof of income. A month later, I am unable to show that I make what I said I make a month. The dealer said that I will have to pay per mile if...

    Hyung’s Answer

    Yes, if you agreed to pay for the miles. I assume you believe you did not. The problem is the dealer obtained your signature on 10-15 documents, and you only have a copy of 3-4 documents. And in one of these documents, you may have agreed to pay for the miles.

    Even so, there may be a conflict. The retail installment sales contract (commonly called “loan contract”) usually have a paragraph in the back that spells out what should happen if the dealer is unable to assign it (commonly called “find you a loan”). It usually says you should return the vehicle with reasonable wear and tear, and the dealer will return your consideration (down payment and trade-in). Resolving the conflict, if any, depends on the facts and exact language of all the documents.

    At this time, if the dealer requests you bring the vehicle back, and your contract allows the dealer to cancel, then you have no choice. You should return the car in best condition possible. And nicely ask the dealer to refund your down payment. If the dealer does not refund all of your down payment, you should ask – in writing (fax with proof of transmission works best) – why it did not refund all of your down payment. You may have to send 2 or 3 requests before a dealer will respond, if at all. Once you receive a response or 3 tries, you should consult with an attorney. Be sure to save as much documentation as possible.

    See question 
  • Can I get my money back from a car dealership?

    I put down 2000$ and got a truck and there were problems with it oil leak no a/c check engine light on. They promised to fix and take care so could pass emissions but it's been nothing but lies and now 90 days and still not fixed they have had tru...

    Hyung’s Answer

    It sounds like you have 2 separate and distinct issues. The first issue is the dealer not transferring title and registering the vehicle for you despite over 90 days passing since your purchase. You should file a complaint with the Arizona Department of Transportation. You can fill out this form and mail to the address at the top of the form.

    Another option is
    to drop it off at your local MVD office. This will put some pressure on the dealer to do things.

    Regarding the dealers refusal or failure to fix, I presume you did receive 15 day/500 miles implied warranty from the dealer. Enforcing your rights under that warranty can be tricky because dealers rarely give you anything in writing to show that you gave it notice about the problems before 15 days/500 miles expired. Preferred method of communication with dealers is through medium that can be easily used in court such as emails, faxes or letters. If you have not used these methods, you should start now. If you are still dissatisfied after the MVD’s involvement, then you should get your documents together and have it reviewed by an attorney.

    See question 
  • By law, is a car dealer required to inform you about the Carfax on a new truck?

    I purchased a new truck in Dec. 2009. I recently traded it in for a new 2015 truck. I felt the trade in value was low but decided to except the deal. 2 days later I found out from the original dealer of the 2009 truck, that it had been involved...

    Hyung’s Answer

    Car dealers ar not required to show you a carfax report. However, Arizona law requires new car dealers to disclose damages that cost more than 3% of the MSRP to repair. Excluded from the 3% thresh-hold are damages to bumpers and glass.

    You should contact the selling dealer, tell it about what you leanred and ask for a copy of the repair record.

    Some car dealers fudge the numbers to evade this disclosure requirement. In a case such as yours, you should have the car inspected a competent bodyshop technician to determine the extent of damages that were repaired. Feel free to contact me for a bodyshop recommendation.

    See question 
  • What course of action can be taken against a company for forging a customer's signature?

    DISH Network....forged my signature on their contract...didn't find this out until I requested a copy of said contract

    Hyung’s Answer

    First, I agree with Attorney Hall’s answer. It is almost always good to communicate and try to avoid a civil legal action.

    However, sometimes, you may hit a road block (and perhaps you may have already hit a road block) in your efforts to communicate. If that is the case here, then more information is needed.

    A civil legal action can be time consuming and expensive. Even if you find an attorney that is willing to represent you on a contingent basis, there are risks. Thus, a civil legal action typically should be pursued only if you are being damaged by the forgery.

    Following information will be helpful in determining whether you should pursue a civil legal action. Is the business trying to collect based on the forged contract? Is the account based on forged contract being reported on your credit reports? If your responses are affirmative, then you should consult with an attorney with knowledge in consumer protection laws such as Fair Credit Reporting Act. After investigating facts and conducting a legal analysis, the attorney can recommend the best course of action for you.

    Of course, you are free to report the forgery to law enforcement agencies, including the Consumer Protection Section of Arizona Attorney General’s Office. Here is the link to the Consumer Complaint Form:

    See question 
  • What is a secondary motor vehicle finance transaction

    im just trying to not get screwed in a interest rate for a vehicle and i know there are laws on secondary interest rates but not to sure what that is

    Hyung’s Answer

    Technical definition can be found at Arizona Revised Statute § 44-281(13), which is cut-and-pasted below. Most of typical “Title Loans” fall into this category.

    The interest rates allowed by Arizona legislature for title loans are OBSCENE. They are set forth below.

    1. For loan amount of $500 or less, a finance rate of 204% APR.
    2. More than $500 but not more than $2,000, a finance rate of 180% APR.
    3. More than $2,000 but not more than $5,000 dollars, a finance rate of 156% APR.
    4. More than $5,000, a monthly finance rate of 120% APR.

    Please do everything you can to not use this kind of loans, and work top make it illegal.

    Here is technical definition:

    "Secondary motor vehicle finance transaction":
    (a) Means any contract that includes provisions for either:
    (i) Obtaining a security interest in or lien on a motor vehicle other than in connection with the sale of that motor vehicle.
    (ii) The sale or conditional sale of a motor vehicle and the seller's right to retain use of the motor vehicle after the sale or conditional sale.
    (b) Includes any conditional sales contract or contract for the bailment or leasing of a motor vehicle in which the bailee or lessee agrees to pay for use of the motor vehicle and the bailee or lessee is required to become or has the option of becoming the owner of the vehicle for any or no compensation.
    (c) Does not include any commercial transaction as defined in section 44-291.

    See question 
  • Okay so i bought a car about 3 weeks ago and a week after i bought it the engine blew.

    there trying to say it was over revved but i know damn well it wasnt. i paid extra for a warranty and there trying to get out of it. my only question is i dont have the car in my possesion so legally do i have to pay the payments coming up if i on...

    Hyung’s Answer

    Yes, you should make your payments. Make sure you live up to all of your obligations under the contract. That way, you will take away any excuse for the dealer to not live up to its obligations. If you do not make the payment, the dealer can “repossess” the car, sell it with the damaged engine, and come after you for the remainder of the loan balance. This will place you in a much worse situation.

    You should immediately consult with an attorney. You may have rights against the dealer and warranty company. To help yourself use these rights, you should communicate in writing. An attorney can review your documents (sales documents and warranty contract) and then assist you in communicating in writing. That way, any dispute about what was said or promised will be minimized.

    See question 
  • Do I need a lemon law attorney.

    I was driving home from a thanksgiving rv trip, when the rear differential of my new truck seized up and caused us to jacknife and flipped my rv. The rv is a total loss and there is considerable damage to my so called now "new truck". It has since...

    Hyung’s Answer

    A lawyer can be very helpful in a situation like this. Unfortunately, lawyers are expensive and you should consider other options before hiring your own attorney. Your best other options may be your own insurance company.

    If you had good coverages on your truck and the RV, your insurance company should cover your losses, less deductible. To the extent the insurance company paid out, it has a claim against Chrysler-Fiat. Make sure you give all the information you have to your insurance company to help it pursue Chrysler-Fiat. It may even recover your deductible for you. You insurance company has much more resources – a team of lawyers and experts – to pursue claims like this. If your insurance company declines to pursue such a claim, it is most likely because your insurance company decided it was economically not worth it. And it may not be economically worth it for you as well.

    Your insurance premium should only go up if the loss was substantially caused by your fault. Since this loss was not caused by your fault, your insurance rate should not go up. Therefore, I encourage you to submit this loss through your insurance company, and then encourage your insurance company to pursue Chrysler-Fiat.

    If you are not satisfied, you should then consult with a lawyer to assess the potential cost-benefit issues. Good luck.

    See question 
  • We purchased a used vehicle 6 weeks ago here in AZ, but still haven't rec'd the title. What can we do to speed things up?

    We bought a used Gulf Stream Voyager from a local dealer (Arizona) who was selling it on consignment. We were told that it would be a week to 10 days before we would have the title, because their consignor needed to first payoff his outstanding lo...

    Hyung’s Answer

    It is possible the dealer is telling the truth, but it is also possible someone is acting dishonestly somewhere the line. Based on the last sentence of your question, I believe the most likely person that is acting dishonestly is the dealer.

    If you purchased the RV from a dealer, you should have gotten sales documents identifying the dealer as the seller. The dealer should have charged you applicable sales tax, and title and register the RV in your name.

    You should gather up as much evidence as possible showing that the dealer was the seller. For example, advertisement by the dealer, pictures, etc. you should then seek an attorney’s help. You should do so right away.

    I have handled cases where the dealer does under without transferring title to many of the vehicles its sold. That left many people fighting over who had “higher rights” to the vehicles. Purchasers in good faith, consignors, banks, etc, etc. It could get messy. Typically, the prior lien holder that properly perfected lien through MVD has higher rights just about anyone. Thus, your are in a precarious position right now. Dealers do have bond covering damages resulting from failure to transfer title. But the bond amount is limited and sometime (but not always) the first person in line gets damages covered before the bond runs out. Hopefully, your situation is not as dire. But just to be on the safe side, you should seek help of an attorney right away.

    See question