Jonathan Philip Friday’s Answers

Jonathan Philip Friday

Austin Family Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 3
  1. Separated for 10 years from wife and she will not allow agree to divorce. there are no children involved. What can be done?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Jonathan Philip Friday
    2. Reid A Seino
    3. Brian Douglas Walters
    4. Walter S. Haugen
    4 lawyer answers

    In Texas, and agreement is not needed to obtain a divorce. Take time to go down to the courthouse in the county you reside (and have resided in for the past 90 days) and file a Petition for Divorce. Assuming you know where your wife currently lives, arrange to have a copy of the Petition served on her. If she fails to file an Answer to your Petition for Divorce, the Court will permit you to obtain a divorce on the 61st day following the day you filed for divorce...even if your wife never...

    4 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Can my 16 year old refuse to go on visitation to her Dads house?

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Adam Kielich
    2. Stephen Andrew Hamer
    3. Jonathan Philip Friday
    3 lawyer answers

    Until the current Order is modified by a Judge, you need to make every effort so that your daughter goes to see her father in accordance with your current Order. I suggest you meet with an attorney and request that he or she file a Motion asking the Court to modify the terms of your current Order and request that the Judge meet with your daughter so that she may express her views.

  3. How much does it cost to file a motion for contempt for visation on kids in houston.tx

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Fran Brochstein
    2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.
    3. Jonathan Philip Friday
    4. Wendy Antoinette Thomas
    4 lawyer answers

    As indicated in Ms. Brochstein's answer, fees can vary widely in a case like this. However, if the facts are fairly straight forward, this is something that a relatively young lawyer should be able to handle which should keep the costs low. In addition, if you are successful in having the Court find the other parent in contempt, the Court will likely order that parent to pay what the Court determines to be a reasonable amount of attorney's fees.

  4. My brother is in prison and got served divorce papers. He has 70 days left to serve. He wants to delay it until he gets out.

    Answered over 1 year ago.

    1. Steven John Clausen
    2. Jonathan Philip Friday
    3. Mary Elizabeth Ramos
    4. David Alexander Browde
    4 lawyer answers

    Your brother should go ahead and file an Answer with the Court and let them know that he is currently unavailable to address the Petition for Divorce and request the Court take no action until he is able to either hire an attorney or get prepared to address the claims in his wife's Petition for Divorce. He needs to send a copy of the Answer to his wife (or her lawyer if the Petition for Divorce was filed by a lawyer).