J L Carpenter’s Answers

J L Carpenter

Houston Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 4
  1. I want to get divorced without having to hire an attorney , but my situation is hard. NEED ADVISE, I can't stand it longer .

    Answered 6 months ago.

    1. Dorothea Elaine Laster
    2. J L Carpenter
    3. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.
    4. William Tyler Moore Jr
    5. Maria Sara Lowry
    5 lawyer answers

    Not only do you need a lawyer, but you could use some outside support such as Al-Anon. Al-Anon is free and there are meetings throughout the greater Houston area at all times of day. http://www.houstonalanon.org/ My firm practices primarily criminal defense, but I have a young associate who practices family law. **Life is too short to live unhappily and you and those children deserve better than how you are living today.**

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  2. Is it better to be a Pro active attorney or a Re active attorney?

    Answered 7 months ago.

    1. Paul Vincent Kendall
    2. Deepali Meenu Walters
    3. Bart Charles Craytor
    4. Michael J. Crawford
    5. J L Carpenter
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    I charge my clients per hour before a potential charge comes down to be there for the client during this process. While I agree with the other attorneys that you should not bring attention to a matter that may either go away or slip through the cracks, I have my clients call a local bonding company who can put them on a "watch list" so if/when a warrant does come out, the client can do a non-arrest bond rather than unexpectedly get arrested on a traffic stop or at their home. That gives...

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. Can i ask for a pretrial diversion if i go in by myself to court?

    Answered 10 months ago.

    1. JaPaula C Kemp
    2. J L Carpenter
    3. Gary Churak
    4. Michael David Mercer
    4 lawyer answers

    If you do not have the money to hire a lawyer and the court will not appoint a lawyer to you, you may represent yourself but it's very risky. The best advice is to have a lawyer. If you choose to represent yourself, be careful not to make any admissions of guilt during the negotiation phase. Gather information about your options without admitting guilt because what you say to the prosecutor can be used against you. -JL Carpenter-Rambin www.jlcarpenterlaw.com

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  4. I am charged with an A-DWI with a BAC of .156 and it's a first offense. What are my options to avoid jail-time?

    Answered 10 months ago.

    1. Gene Raymond Beaty
    2. Kevin Matthew Bennett
    3. Stephen Andrew Hamer
    4. Stephen A. Gustitis
    5. Gary Churak
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    If you do not have any criminal history, you are eligible for probation with an interlock device on your vehicle. Make sure the breath or blood test is admissible evidence. If it is not, then sounds like the video might get you to a Not Guilty at trial. Good luck!

    2 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. My son has two felonies but hasn't ever went to prison. Does this make a difference with employers?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Joshua Zientek
    2. Barry Franklin Poulson
    3. J L Carpenter
    4. John Leif Fossum
    4 lawyer answers

    You may want to consult an attorney regarding your son's criminal record to see whether any of the charges are eligible for expunction or non-disclosure. This will help clean up his record a little. Additionally, your son should seek letters of character reference from upstanding citizens who know him, such as former employers, school teachers, pastors, neighbors or counselors. Knowing that he not only has to set himself apart from his competition, but also overcome his past, your son should...

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  6. What does, "GRAND JURY ACTION ROTATION CRT 184 OFF FREQ BND" mean in Texas court?

    Answered 7 months ago.

    1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones
    2. J L Carpenter
    2 lawyer answers

    That language is specific to Harris County. You should consult a local attorney to assist you. Best of Luck! -JL Carpenter-Rambin www.jlcarpenterlaw.com